Did you know today is National Peanut Butter Day? I thought I’d take a moment to honour this yummy and humble spread today. Although it’s been banned in schools these days due to nut allergies, peanut butter helps prevent everything from heart disease to Alzheimer’s – it’s true! So if you feel like celebrating today…or just looking for an excuse to snack on something delish on this cold Toronto day, here are a few Toronto spots serving up best variety of peanut buttery goodness – from shakes to sandwiches.
1. Glory Hole Doughnuts – The phenomenal Elvis with Marshmallow doughnut is iced with peanut butter frosting and topped with banana chips, nuts, bacon and toasted marshmallows.
2. Holy Chuck Burgers – Reese’s Pieces and Banana milkshake made with 90% ice-cream and 10% milk is just heavenly. Every sip is filled with chunks of peanut-buttery candy and fresh banana.
3. Dlish Cupcakes – With 16 different flavours available, rotating any 9 on a given day, there is plenty to choose from, and none disappoint. But today you must try the Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcake – dark chocolate cake filled with peanut butter creme topped with chocolate ganache…yummm.
4. Clafouti Patisseries – This French bakery in Queen West serves up light, flaky and rich peanut butter croissants (among other flavours) that go perfectly with a strong cup of Balzac’s coffee and adapt perfectly to both sweet and savoury flavours.
5. Murrays Sandwich Emporium – Of course I wouldn’t end the list without the classic PB&J (peanut butter and jelly) sandwich and Murrays is the place to get it. This small sandwich shop at Queen and Bathurst is open as late as 4:00am and it’s menu of classically comforting sandwiches makes for a quick and satisfying meal. And with items that have definite late night snack appeal beyond the usual poutine or pizza, being open till the wee hours of the morning will most likely prove worthwhile.